Tuesday, February 23, 2010

show & tell

Today I thought I'd break out some photos from a case I saw while working in the animal ER...

My patient was a middle aged cat that presented for vomiting of several days duration... he was dehydrated & painful when I pushed around on his abdomen. I suspected I was palpating a foreign object, though it was hard to tell for sure since he resisted my exam. His owner ok'd xrays, and this is what we saw...

Can you spot the foreign object?


Now, a little help for those not familiar with xray anatomy...


And, for the "fun" part... we always like to play Guess-The-Foreign-Body - basically, we see who can come closest to predicting what the foreign object will be... THIS particular xray had us all stumped...

Have you guessed yet?!? Well, here it is...


What is it, you ask? Well, I still don't know! It appeared to be a hoof from a small hooved creature (baby sheep or goat). But none of us could figure out how or why this cat could have gotten hold of such an object... turns out, neither could his owners! Even when we showed the "hoof" to them, they couldn't ID it... never seen it before. If only animals could talk! I'd love to know what this was and where our kitty friend found it! The good news is that our patient recovered well with no post-op complications. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments about my blog :) If you know me and my family in "Real Life," I ask that you refrain from using any of our names! Please be kind and respectful. Thank you.