Thursday, January 14, 2010

Is that normal?

I saw a case today... A case that made me want to laugh at the questions Mrs. Embarrassed was asking. And yet... there was something else there instead. Funny? Yes, it was funny. You'll soon see what I mean. But it also made me realize just how much trust people put out there when I step into a room as "the doctor." Trust that I have done nothing to deserve - nothing other than going to 8 years of school & wearing the white coat. Trust is something people don't usually give freely - it usually has to be earned, and that takes time. But somehow, many people give trust the second they step through my exam room door. And today, the weight of that responsibility hit me in the middle of an otherwise hilarious situation.

I was examining Marshmallow's eye... he was a little white dog, a neutered male. His eyes started watering yesterday and today they were very red. I stained his eyes, prescribed the proper meds, and was on my way out the door to see the next patient. But then Mrs. Embarrassed stopped me. "Doc, I've got one more question for you." Sure, I've got time... "Well, you see, Marshmallow is neutered. But he has this teddy bear. And he humps the teddy bear sometimes. And then a long red thing appears, and he licks and licks it until it goes away. What IS that? Is that NORMAL?" So I explained that even neutered dogs can get 'excited' so to speak, and that red thing is his penis, and yes, its "normal" for some male dogs to do that, neutered or not... Mrs. Embarrassed is an African American woman, but you know what? I swear I saw her blush. And then she thanked me for answering her questions, and said she was glad she knew it wasn't something to worry about.

Trust. Today I met Mrs. Embarrassed for the first time. And today, she trusted me fully - almost instantly. And I'd like to think that - funny as the situation was, and as much as I wanted to laugh - I'd like to think that I earned the trust she gave me. That is my job. And I love it.

1 comment:

  1. LOL..funny, funny post...laughed hard here...You handled this very well, and sensitively too. REminds me, though of the question--why does a dog lick himself? A--because he can....well done!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments about my blog :) If you know me and my family in "Real Life," I ask that you refrain from using any of our names! Please be kind and respectful. Thank you.