Thursday, January 28, 2010

is this a vet school exam?

I never know what is going to happen when I walk into an exam room. Maybe the client is going to be pleasant and the patient will be healthy. Maybe the pet will be an angel, but the owner has a chip on their shoulder from a bad vet experience in the past, and they will hate me before I ever walk through the door. Maybe the cat will try to scratch my face and bite my finger, or the dog will try to lunge at me from across the room. Maybe the owner will burst into tears as I walk into the room. Or maybe I will walk into the exam room and endure a barage of questions designed to "proove" my competence. Today was a day for questions... Today, I was "interviewed" by a biomedical statistician. The interview was disquised as a simple "recheck" appointment. I stepped into the exam room expecting to discuss repeat bloodwork and changes in medication. About 45min later, I emerged from the room feeling like I'd traveled back in time and had just finished one of the legendary "oral exams" from veterinary school. An exam where one student endured a question and answer session with 1-2 faculty, answering numerous detailed questions designed to quiz our knowledge of every single aspect of a particular disease process. The exams tested our analytical skills, our "calm under pressure" attitude, and were enough to make any vet student sweat nervously in anticipation. I'm happy to report that today, I was not sweating as I left the exam room after my "interview." I'm happy to say that I feel confident in my ability to stay calm under pressure. I have to admit that I failed in my ability to recall every single case I've treated with this particular condition, and although I could say the incidence of treatment failure was approximately 3-7%, I couldn't pinpoint what exact percentage of my PERSONAL cases had a certain outcome - and I'm OK with that! Two months ago, I looked at a patient during a wellness / vaccine exam and suspected an underlying disease process. I ran bloodwork, diagnosed said condition, began proper medication, and recommended appropriate followup. I may not be able to recall every case I've seen in the last 5 years, or spout off detailed stats from my personal caseload - but I diagnosed a serious problem before it was causing clinical signs at home - and THAT is what proves my competence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments about my blog :) If you know me and my family in "Real Life," I ask that you refrain from using any of our names! Please be kind and respectful. Thank you.